Many know them for their famous pancake breakfasts, most recently enjoyed at the Malibu Arts Festival, but the Optimist Club of Malibu’s service extends beyond providing a good breakfast to include 57 years of helping local youth reach their full potential.
“The Optimist Club of Malibu was started by an incredible group of men who came back to this small community after WWII and Korea,” says Avesta Carrara, board member of the Optimist Club of Malibu. “They knew that a community that rallies around its youth will have a next generation of successful adults. Since 1960 they have brought their wisdom, and spirit for camaraderie to our town and led the way.”
With the mission to “bring out the best in kids by providing hope and positive vision,” the Optimist Club joins with the community to support youth programs, provide camp and college scholarships and recognize exceptional youth and teachers.
“THE OPTIMIST CLUB OF MALIBU HAS MANY GREAT THINGS IN STORE, WATCH FOR OPPORTUNITIES FOR YOUR CHILDREN TO PARTICIPATE OR EARN RECOGNITION THROUGH OUR YOUTH APPRECIATION, LITTLE LEAGUE, SCOUTING OR OTHER SPECIAL NEEDS!” SAYS AVESTA, WHO EXPERIENCED THE BENEFITS PROVIDED BY THE OPTIMIST CLUB OF MALIBU FIRSTHAND WHEN HER TWO SONS WERE YOUNGER.
Community support for the Optimist Club of Malibu runs strong, with the Club’s first-ever crowdfunding campaign to make up for the shortfall of the change in the Art Festival Pancake Breakfast raising $5,000 in 5 weeks!
“We hope to build on this avenue of sponsorship and other important community activities as our town adjusts to its new events,” says Avesta. “The Optimist Club brings so much positive energy to our youth and the community that we hope that the life that our founders breathed into this club will continue to grow. We are so happy for the community support!”
Each year, the Optimist Club of Malibu supports youth in a variety of ways:
- • College scholarships of $1,000 to 10-12 graduating seniors ($250,000+ awarded in scholarships over the years)
- • Local Little League team sponsors (since 1960)
- • Summer camp scholarships for 12-20 Malibu Boys and Girls Club members
- • Malibu Boy Scout Troop 224 sponsors (since 1960)
- • Donations of sports equipment and hosting essay contests for “at-risk” youth in LA County Probation Camps
- • Youth Appreciation Week honoring over 20 Malibu students
- • Malibu Students Annual Essay Contest “Respect for Law”
- • Malibu Students Annual Oratorical Contest “Excellence in Education,” recognizing local teachers
- • Malibu High School Graduation Night sponsors
- • Salvation Army Summer Camp sponsor for inner-city youth (Santa Monica Mountains)
- • Optimist Youth Home in Highland Park supporters.
Supporting local youth by making a positive impact is in line with the Optimist Vision: “Optimist International will be recognized worldwide as the premier volunteer organization that values all children and help them develop to their full potential.”
Thanks to the generosity and commitment to youth shared by the Optimist Club of Malibu members and community, hundreds of children have received support and encouragement to strive to be their best.
“It is immeasurable the leadership and generosity this group has provided to our community over the years. Now open to all for membership, its positivity has remained steadfast in our ‘Bu,’” shares Avesta. “Bless those leaders who had the vision to establish this support group. I am pleased to give back now that my sons are grown, and both were recipients of their generous hearts!”